Mo Ibrahim Media Monitoring
The Mo Ibrahim Foundation was founded in 2006 by Dr. Mo Ibrahim a Sudanese entrepreneur based in London and founder of Celtel International.
The Foundation is committed to supporting great African leadership that will improve the economic and social prospects of the people of Africa. The Foundation aims to support the transformation of Africa by focusing its intellectual and financial resources on the following three initiatives:-
- The Ibrahim index of African governance (A comprehensive ranking of African countries according to governance quality).
- The Ibrahim Prize for achievement in African leadership (Recognizes and celebrates excellence in African leadership and is the largest annually awarded prize in the world).
- The Ibrahim Scholarship Programmes. (Provision of academic scholarships to support aspiring leaders for the African continent.
The AUCC - Mo Ibrahim Media Monitoring Centre
The Mo Ibrahim Media Monitoring Centre is located at AUCC (Discovery House, near Roxy Cinema, Adabraka, Accra).
A collaboration between AUCC and the Foundation in 2009 has resulted in the establishment of a media and governance module for students under the Journalism and Media Department of the African University College of Communications (AUCC).
The governance indices selected for the monitoring exercise are:
- Elections / Elections Campaigns / Opposition Parties
- The Judiciary / Rule of Law / Independence of Courts
- Government action in the following areas: Health; Education; Business / Economics
- Public participation in all forms of decision-making (public consultation forums, national / local debates, local level policy-making etc.)
Fifteen(15) print and electronic media in six West African countries have been selected for monitoring by AUCC students.
They are listed below:
- Daily newspapers (Daily Monitoring)
- Daily Graphic
- Daily Guide
- Ghanaian Times
- Daily Dispatch
- The Chronicle
- Radio (Monitoring is done3x a week)
- Joy FM
- Peace FM
- Radio Gold
- Oman FM
- Daily newspaper: The Guardian (Daily monitoring)
- Daily newspaper: Fraternite Matin (Daily monitoring)
- Daily newspaper: TogoPresse (Daily monitoring)
- Daily newspaper: Le Matinale (Daily monitoring)
- Daily newspaper: L' Observateur (Daily monitoring)
For more information about the Foundation, visit www.moibrahimfoundation.org
Barbara Gyamfi (Mrs.)
Director of Corporate Communication
Tel: 0302 258584/6